Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Is there forgiveness for cheating?



Your significant other is cheating on you.

Gut reaction?

Probably shock, loss, loneliness, anger, shame, embarrassment, sadness...

The feelings are genuinely the same for most people who have to endure this type of circumstance.
But what would you do?

Would you try to move up and move on without your significant? Would you forgive and try to forget? Would you forgive and always live in fear and rage?

I've often thought of this situation and how I would react. I honestly don't know. Sometimes you think you're stronger than you are and sometimes you're not half as strong as you would imagine.

I read a bit by Gwyneth Paltrow, who usually doesn't have anything worth noting to say - in my opinion -, but she surprised me.

In her most recent interview with Cosmopolitan she says,

"I'd imagine you'd begin to question your life. It would definitely make things harder, but I believe that if there's authenticity and honesty right off the bat, things will be okay," she continued. "I think that if the idea of being committed to someone is important to you, you begin to value certain parts of your social life over another.

How genuinely insightful. Honesty right off the bat is key. If the relationship has even a chance to bounce back there has to be immediate honestly and forthcoming with what has happened. Once that cut can bleed it can heal. Whether it leaves scars is unquestionable, but at least you can move forward or move on at that point.

No reading, nor quote, nor anecdote will lead you in one way or another. The choice, the circumstance, the relationship, it's all individual and real.

No comments:

Post a Comment